There is a commonly held view that eating disorders are a lifestyle choice. Eating disorders are actually serious and often fatal illnesses that cause severe disturbances to a person’s eating behaviors. Obsessions with food, body weight, and shape may also signal an eating disorder. Common eating disorders include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating disorder.
Signs of Binge Eating
"I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
- Laurie Halse Anderson
Helpful Links For Eating Disorder
- Academy for Eating Disorders (AED) - A multidisciplinary professional organization that focuses on Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder and related disorders. Also sponsors a newsletter and a conference.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - Formerly the American Dietetic Association, offers information about eating disorders, including an extensive nutrition reading list and a professional directory that allows visitors to search for Dietitians specializing in eating disorders.
- Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) - The Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) is the national organization focusing on increased prevention, diagnosis, and treatment for Binge Eating Disorder.
- Diabulimia Helpline - Diabulimia Helpline is the world's first non-profit organization working to help those afflicted by diabulimia, and raise awareness of this deadly disease.
- Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy & Action (EDC) - This website offers the opportunity to join advocacy efforts at the federal level.
- F.E.A.S.T. - F.E.A.S.T. is an organization of and for parents and caregivers to help loved ones recover from eating disorders by providing information and mutual support, promoting evidence-based treatment, and advocating for research and education to reduce the suffering associated with eating disorders.